Photoshop technique to smooth skin texture. Thereare many methods that one can change skin texture and smoothing. This method I found works well.
- Copy background layer
- Background Copy Layer, Apply high pass Filter (Filter>Other>High Pass)
- Set the High Pass Radius 9-10.5
- Background Copy Layer, Apply Surface Blur Filter (Filter>Blur>Surface Blur)
- Set Radius 3-4.5, Threshold 15
- Invert Bacground Copy Layer Cmd+I or Ctrl+I
- Change blending mode from Normal to Linear Light
- Change the opacity from 100% to 55-60%
- Mask the Background Copy layer (Layer>Layer Mask>Apply) or click on the icon
- Click on the Foreground/Background colour and switch to bring black to the foreground.
- Click the Paint tin flood fill icon and click on te image to show original clear picture.
- Click on brush tool Cmd+B or Ctrl+B, size of brush 65-100, soft brush (less than 25)
- Click on Foreground/Background and switch to bring white to the foreground.
- Use the paint brush to soften and remove skin blemishes.
- Take care not to soften and blur eyes, nose or the lines that divide lips, hair like eye brows or eye lashes.
- To see where the masking tool has been applied hit \ backslash key. This inverts the selection. If there was somewhere that you applied the masking in error. You can unmask with the paint brush tool.
- If needed you can change the size to smooth larger areas, or small areas around the eyes where you do not want to blur the eyes.
- Once Paintbrush work is completed, you can change the opacity from 55% and increase to 100% to get a smooth dolls face effect, or slide it down 30-60% to see more natural effects, and depending on what effects you want to create.
Click to see full size smoothed image
Click here to see original untouched photograph